Place of Birth
Date of Birth
Place of Death
Date of Death
The Eastern Gazette 4-13-1944, p.3 (LHC)
CALVIN COPELAND 1798-1862 Calvin Copeland was the fourth child of Captain Samuel Copeland and his second wife, Emma Parker. He was born March 28, 1794. He was twice married. His first wife was Rebecca Leighton. They were married December 6, 1818 and they had a family of eight children. Calvin was an extensive farmer and dealt in cattle and horses until about 1848 or 1850. His farm was the one on the Barton road known for many years as the James Leighton place. He moved to the village and built the house since converted into the Fay-Scott Inn. He also built a mill on the present site of the Fay and Scott shop where he engaged in the manufacture of woolen goods for a few years. Then he rented the mill for a term of years. In the fall of 1858 the mill was burned and never rebuilt. At one time he was considered the richest man in Dexter and it was through his generosity that the Baptists were enabled to build their church in 1839, and he was always a loyal supporter. In 1846 he married Mrs. Susan D. (Hilton) Ellis who survived him for thirty years. She, also, was devoted to the church and it was she who gave to the Baptist Society the pipe organ and in her will made provision for the parsonage which was built in 1894.