Place of Birth
Date of Birth
Place of Death
Date of Death
The Eastern Gazette 4-20-1944, p.3 (LHC)
CALEB B. CURTIS. 1801- Caleb B. Curtis was born August 2, 1801, the second child of Briggs and Lydia Curtis. The family came to Dexter from Readfield and were among the early settlers in this township. Briggs Curtis was one of the signers of the petition for incorporation. He first settled in the east part of the township near Seba Franch and James Jumper, and like them was always active in the affairs of the town. Later he moved to the northerly shore of the lake and took up the farm later owned by Amos Storer where the Storer Cemetery is located. Caleb B. Curtis married Lavina Swanton of Readfield in December 1826, and they had seven children. .Caleb built a house on land adjoining his father's farm and lived there for a few years and then went to his old home to care for his father and mother. The people who first settled the northerly shore of Lake Wassookeag must have been a sturdy race for the only way to get across the "narrows of the great pond" in summer was by ferry boat or swimming. Otherwise they had to go around the lake and the roads of that time were not much like those of today. Caleb Curtis was not only a farmer but, was also a carpenter and millwright and in these latter capacities was largely connected with the Farrar and Cutler woolen mill. Sometimes he would go home once or twice a week to look after farm matters, and sometimes he moved his family to the village, usually letting the farm on shares, but generally getting back to the farm during the year. He finally sold the farm to Amos Storer and took up his residence in Dexter village. He built a house on Pleasant street on the site of that owned by Mrs. Albert Bentley and lived there for a good many years. He established the wood-working business on Grove Street and later took his son, Charles W. Curtis, into partnership.