Place of Birth
Date of Birth
Place of Death
Date of Death
The Eastern Gazette 1-6-1949, p.1
Funeral Services Held For Victim Of Burns Funeral services for three-year-old Jean Courtney were held this morning at St. Anne's Church. She died in a Bangor hospital Tuesday afternoon from second and third degree burns 60 per cent of her, received that morning at her Dexter home, when her clothing caught fire. According to unofficial reports, the little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Courtney, was playing with matches and kerosene in the kitchen of her home on Common street. When her clothing became ignited, the girl ran upstairs to her mother, immediately sent an older sister to summon Dr. Hans Shurman, who resides nearby. The child was rushed to the Plummer Memorial Hospital and later taken in the local police ambulance to the Eastern Maine General Hospital in Bangor where she died at 5:15 P.M. Henry Larsen, Jr., a newspaper carrier boy, said that he saw reflections in a window when he was passing the house. As he started to investigate, he heard screams, apparently of a child, so he threw pebbles at an upstairs window hoping to attract someone's attention. About that time, someone in the house shouted for a doctor, and Larsen ran to the home of Dr. Shurman. In the meantime, Kathleen, a sister of the fire victim, called the doctor form a neighbor's home. Jean was one of five children and had a twin brother, Dean. Other children are: Thomas, 2; Kathleen, 8 and Gerard, 6.